Thursday, June 24, 2010

How 'Bout Them Dawgs

B and I came up with the idea to create my Dad a man cave for his birthday. We are all die hard UGA fans so we took that theme and ran with it. We painted the walls red, the trey (in the trey ceiling) black, painted a bookshelf, re-covered some pillows, made some curtains and end tables, drew some murals on the wall and called it a day. I have NEVER worked so hard for someones birthday, not even Miss. H's and I made her a castle! All the hard work is worth it in the end after seeing the end result.


My Mom and I were at one of her favorite stores that is going out of business and came across a fixture for sale for only $10. It was GA red and I thought it would make a cute end table. The only problem was there was only one base. It had three baskets that were stuck on a pole to create a tree fixture. I went to home Depot and had the nice men help me to create another base out of PVC pipe. We decided to paint them all black to set off the red walls. I also bought some plexi glass from the said store and created some really cute, sturdy end tables. Below are some pictures.


We had an extra basket that we be put on top of a spinning platform to create a lazy susan for the coffee table.


My friend, K (who is an art major and who's mom is an artist) came over to help me paint the murals on the wall. We decided on a big Georgia G over one couch and "How 'bout them Dawgs" over the other couch. Her mom has a projector that is used for making murals which made it a lot easier since the G is such a clean shape. We knew if it wasn't perfect it would look AWFUL! So, this was a HUGE help!!! Thanks, K!!!


We took all our Georgia Memorabilia and put it in the room. We put different pictures of the family at the games and framed them. B had a GA rug made at the Mat company she works at. My mom helped me make some gingham curtains, and to re-cover four huge pillows we have down there. We made the window treatments straight (with no pleats) because that is more masculine. It is also a lot easier! Win,win! We covered the oversized pillows in solid black fabric and hand appliqued the G, in the same fabric we used on the windows, onto the pillows.


The best part of this entire project was that we spent below.........wait for it........... $200!!!! That includes all paint, fabric, knickknacks, and the rug B had made (which is on the way). We did good!!! Beat that HGTV!

No comments:

Post a Comment